Saturday, September 11, 2010

Selling Yourself?

An online community I am part of is focused upon adoption. The story of Adoption for my wife and I has included making a profile online and putting together a scrapbook for birth mothers to look through. In a culture where selling yourself does not necessarily mean being authentic Danielle and I were overwhelmed. Would a birth mother really believe this was truly who we are? As we watched another episode of Madmen we wondered if it was even possible for someone to truly believe we were being genuine, real, and authentic? However, once again we were reminded of the lesson that God has been teaching us over and over the last 3 years. It is about faith and trust. Faith and trust.

1 comment:

  1. First off, I love Mad Men too!

    Secondly, I always am trying to discern the authenticity of people! A lot of my friends are still in the dating age, and I am always amazed they have the faith the date someone they have just met. I know there is great enjoyment and fun in discovering someone, but I also have been there to pick up the pieces of friends who have been hurt because they found out the true qualities of a person. With innovations like Facebook and Google, it can make it harder for someone to hide their true identity, but it can also lend to lying and misinterpretation. That's why I am so lucky I met my husband in college when we both were starting out and just becoming adults! It's really hard to lie about your career or life when you don't have a job and visit your parents once a month!

    ReplyDelete